|Bye Bye Nerdy|
|Episode name pun on: 'Bye Bye Birdie'|
|Airdate:||July 1, 2005|
"The Sweet Stench of Success"
"Bloo Done It"
"Bye Bye Nerdy" is the 11th episode in season 2 of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
SPOILER: Plot details follow.
After beating Mac's high score in a video game, Bloo goes to rub it in his face at school, but is horrified when he comes to the conclusion that Mac is a nerd. When Mac arrives, Bloo quickly works to make Mac cool, but none of their ideas work. Just as Mac says he doesn't care about being cool, the coolest kid in the school, Jamez Withazee tells him that the fact that he doesn't want to be cool, makes him cool, and invites him to 'The Rock.' Since Mac takes up this offer and is not at Foster's at 3 o' clock, Mr. Herriman is very quick to ensure that Bloo gets adopted, but in the end Bloo makes it to the rock and gets made fun of by all of the kids, which makes Mac stand up for him and realize that being cool isn't everything.
Spoilers end here.
This episode has been heavily disliked by fans, mostly due to it how it insults nerds in a cruel way, Bloo being more shelfish by changing Mac's personality, Mac disregarding the risks of abdoning Bloo at Foster's to go with Jamez Withazee, unfairly getting mistreated and the very cruel ending were Mac and Bloo gets picked on. Another thing fans criticize is Mr. Herriman's portrayal in this episode, many think that Mr. Herriman trying to get Bloo adopted is often considered one of his worst moments in the series. Fans even considered it out of character for Mr. Herriman.
- The episode title is a pun for the Broadway musical, Bye Bye Birdy.
- This episode shares the same name of an episode of The Simpsons, but it's spelled "Nerdie" instead of "Nerdy".
- The video game that Bloo played is called "Super Mega Blasteroids 9."
- The line "It's a 106 blocks to Mac, I've got a full bladder, half an idea where I'm going, it's Tuesday, and I'm wearing sunglasses.", said by Bloo and after, Frankie says "Hit it!" is a reference to the 1980 movie, "The Blues Brothers" where Elwood says, "It's a 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.", then Jake says "Hit it!".
- Mac breaks the fourth wall about addressing improper lip syncing.
- During the Bloo adoption fight, A girl sounds like Berry.
- Continuity wise, this episode does actually contradict one of the previous episodes of season 2, Bloo's Brothers. In the beginning of that episode, Mac takes Bloo to school for a show and tell presentation. The kids love Bloo so much and cheer for Mac's presentation, even if Mac didn't technically finish it. After the presentation, many kids from Mac's class and school started to imagine their own versions of Bloo. The reason why it appears that this episode contradicts that one is due to the fact that in this episode, is the moment when the kids from Mac's school meet up to see Mac and Jamez hanging out at the rock. Bloo then arrives and is mocked by the kids. When Mac defends Bloo from mockery, they mock Mac for having an imaginary friend and call him a "nerd". In regards to plot continuity, it should be assumed that those from Mac's school should already know about Bloo and not mock Mac for it, especially since they, themselves, thought Bloo was cool in that episode and had imagined their own variations of Bloo. Instead, all the kids assume that Mac is a nerd for having an imaginary friend, when they all also imagined friends resembling Bloo. The two episodes together appear to not add up and seem out of order of context.